CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Where we've been...

So I kinda of fell off the face of the blogging sphere. 

Namely because we have been trying to have a baby for what seems like forever (all actuality it was just under a year and a half)

So between the craziness of infertility (thank you Clomid and Dexamethasone) and the obsession with basal body temperatures, nothing else seemed all that exciting in our lives that was worth blogging about and I for sure wasn't going to talk about trying to have a baby until I was good and ready. 

Now months later, I am nearing the end of pregnancy and still haven't posted because well...I got out of the habit.  

And looking back there have been some blog worthy moments.  So for all those interested, sit back and enjoy this one giant post about everything we have been up to for the last several months. :) 

All Things Baby Related

To me anyways, this is the most interesting and exciting thing that has been going on for us.  Therefore, it gets to be numero uno in the giant post.  That way, if you get tired of reading, you at least got the basics on due date, what am I having, was I sick, yada yada yada...

My due date is currently June 27th, which makes me about 30 1/2 weeks right now.  However, in the first trimester they moved my due date back a week.  Deep in my heart I believe that my original due date of June 21st is more correct.  We shall see.  Of course, I was also sure we were having a boy and I was dead wrong on that one.  So with my luck, I won't deliver until July.    

I haven't really been into the taking weekly pictures or getting weekly updates on how big my baby girl is.  Sometimes, I even lose track of how many weeks I am and have to count them up.  So these pics may be the only ones to be taken of me during this first pregnancy.  And I am pretty okay with that because I feel the size of a small baby manatee (despite everyone telling me that I am quite small for being this far along).  You'd be shocked how much I weigh these days (I know I am every time I go to the doctor) so I will spare you that. 

I have been extremely blessed in this pregnancy because I have never been sick.  I never got morning sickness or nauseous or threw up.  This blessing could perhaps be because I am meant to have more than one child and if I had a miserable pregnancy I may not have agreed to another.  But labor is yet to come and that could change the whole ball game. :)  I am starting to feel tiny feet in my ribs and sometimes I just can't breathe.  Also, my ankles swell to the size of grapefruits most days by the end of work.  But if those are my biggest complaints of pregnancy, than I got off easy. 

We have been busy getting ready for this sweet little girl to arrive.  Jesse is very excited and makes sure he talks to little Shelby every day.  But Jesse is also a big kid himself and thinks the best idea ever is to give my giant belly a raspberry. 

Here are some pics for those not close by of the preparations we are making for June:

Jesse putting together the crib

And the finished product.  Don't mind Jesse's guitar that had to find a new home under the crib. We are also still working on getting the mattress.

We were so lucky to inherit a TON of baby furniture from my Aunt who is finished having kids.  This changing table/dresser is one of such items.  Actually, all of these pictures are inherited items. :)



















I love our pack n play where Shelby will sleep for the first little bit.  I made Jesse put it up because I wanted to see it.  Now he said he won't take it back down only to have to put it up again.  So it sits at the foot of our bed waiting for Shelbs to arrive. It makes me happy every time I see it. :)

Jesse's Birthday

Jesse turned 31 in December.  He may be embarrassed that I told people that, but he looks young still.  He often blows people's minds in his classes when they finally figure out that he is not 21 like them.

And because Jesse is so young at heart, he wanted a dump truck cake for his birthday.  I wish I had put up pictures of the alligator cake from last year, but I have no idea where those went.  So the dump truck will have to suffice for my culinary achievements.













  

Goodbye 80's couch

We finally got rid of the couch we inherited from Dasi's apartment when we got married.  By throwing a cover over the awesome 80's pattern and stuffing the bottom so it didn't sag it was acceptable for these past 2 1/2 years.  But it was time for it to go.  Hello red leather couch.

Jesse's parents helped us get rid of the old one.  It may or may not have fallen out of the truck in the middle of a busy intersection on its way to the DI.  And Jesse and I may or may not have taken a different route to the DI in our car because the couch looked precarious in the truck and we didn't want it to fall out and kill us.  Therefore, we were not there to help put couch back in truck in the middle of the intersection. 

My thesis won't go away

So I graduated TWO years ago this month from BYU with my Master's degree.  However, the drama of getting my thesis published has gone on until about a week ago.  After 1 1/2 years in review and two edits by Peter and I, my manuscript has been accepted for publication in the Leisure Sciences journal in July 2012.  Insert heavy sigh of relief.

But Peter said he still thinks I have a few more presentations left in this paper.  And he and Ramon sucked me in to presenting this past at the Intermountain Leisure Symposium this past February in Heber, UT.  A huge storm rolled in that week and I thought I was going to die on my drive through Parley's canyon to get home.  And I keep getting stalked in my email and cell phone by vendors at that conference.  Not alot of motivation to continue to accept these offers to present.  Jesse thinks deep in my heart I enjoy presenting and that is why I always say yes.  He may be right.

We got Netflix

Oh happy day.  I have been sucked in to watching TV shows on Netflix.  We watched all of the White Collar episodes again and are well on our way to re-watching all of the Psych episodes.  I discovered Numb3rs (which I love because I am a bit of nerd).  I have been referred to watch the Sherlock Holmes episodes because my family thinks Sherlock is just like my younger brother Kemais.  We also discovered Arrested Development.  Oh how that show warms my heart. How have I missed it all these years?

We sometimes do fun things at the University

This past Friday night we ventured onto the campus for two exciting events.  1) The observatory was open to the public.  We got to see Jupiter, Venus in its crescent phase, the Orion nebulous, and a really large telescope that we had to climb a tower to get to.  And the guides had these amazing green lasers that they would point things out in the night sky.  I may have to get Jesse one for his birthday.  They were pretty cool.  I think my Mother would also want one. :)

And then we headed over to the field house for the first annual milk crate stacking event.  It was pretty cool.  Check out this YouTube video they used to advertise it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yUkQZs180&noredirect=1

I think Jesse could have been good at it.  But we got there kind of late and there was a huge line.  And a really terrible band playing.  We had a good time watching people stack the crates.  We saw someone get to 20.  The record up to the point when we left was 25.  Pretty cool idea.


So there are some of the highlights of what we have been up to.  There will definitely be more things to come as we get closer to June!

3 comments:

Mike

So good to hear about what's been going on! It warmed my heart to see preggo-Shallie, and all the baby stuff! Also, I also cannot believe that you have not been exposed to Arrested Development before now. I can't believe I never made you watch it. And finally, the crate stacking competition looked awesome.

This post gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

PS, I saw Jonathan a couple weeks ago. I know you're jealous.

Miss Berrie

Your post on Netflix made me laugh, because those are all the shows (minus Arrested Development) that we've burned through on Netflix as well. Speaking of "burned," you should add Burn Notice to your list, if you haven't already.

Elizabeth

Congrats on the baby! So exciting! Love the red couch and the birthday cake is AWESOME! Most of all glad to hear things are going so well for you! ; ) Love ya!