It has been a while since I posted, because wedding plans have overwhelmed my life, but I wanted to take a moment and reminisce about Pioneer Day. This was my first pioneer day that I was in Utah not working EFY. The weekend before the 24th of July, Jesse and I got last minute tickets to go to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Pioneer Day concert. It was so wonderful! I have missed music program from EFY this summer. I had forgotten how uplifting and inspiring music can be. I felt totally rejuvenated and grateful for the pioneers as I left the concert. An interesting side note, was that during the concert, there was a video played where members of the choir talked about their pioneer ancestors. A lady was talking about her ancestor Jonathon Clegg who came from Preston, England on the ship Horizon and traveled in the Willey handcart company. That is my relative too! It was very exciting. And then I remembered that my Mom has a cousin in the choir, so that was probably her. Small world. :)
On the day of, I planned a western themed date for Jesse and I. It was really fun. We made tinfoil dinners out on our balcony. I covered some boards in tinfoil so that they wouldn't ignite with the liter fluid and then we laid brickettes on it and cooked our dinners. They were SOOOO good. And we got to share with my roommates which was fun. After dinner, we made smores over the smoldering coals. We sat out on the balcony and chatted with my roommies as we toasted the marshmallows. My roomies went to the fireworks in a neighboring town while Jesse and I played the game Ticket to Ride. Trains seem very old west to me. :) Afterwards we watched the movie American Outlaws. It was a fun filled night of western fun. We will definitely have to do the tinfoil dinners again.
Sunday, church was all about the pioneers and I felt very proud of my pioneer ancestry (both the traditional and nontraditional ones). As I played the pioneer hymns on the organ I felt such a connection to those people. I love the power of music.
There are many other stories that deserve to make the blog, but as I said before the wedding has taken over everything. But I will try to contiue posting updates about what is going on with that.
13 years ago
1 comments:
I, too, felt a close connection to our ancestors during Church the week of Pioneer Day. I read this family history document about the Cleggs awhile back and find it very inspiring and useful for talks.
http://www.clegghistory.org/jonathan_clegg.pdf
Also, check the "Our Heritage" manual, chapter 3, about the footrace George Watt won. Our ancestor took 2nd as the family story goes.
Post a Comment