Probably my favorite part of being a Masters graduate was getting to wear the hood. It was pretty awesome. But I couldn't believe that while BYU was entrusting us with a Masters degree, they were pretty sure we were not capable of wearing the hood correctly.
First, I was sent this video. I rolled my eyes and thought okay, whatever.
I pick up my cap, gown, and hood the day before graduation and found more instructions about wearing the hood. Of course they can't just give me the gown without instructions, so I cut them a break on that one.
I arrive at the line-up spot for the processional and am milling about with my cohort enjoying the graduation atmosphere and find myself being inspected by multiple ladies. It was like they came out of nowhere and started grooming me like a pack of monkeys. Very weird experience.
But that was not the end. The next day at convocation, each one of us was inspected by two separate ladies as we stood in the wings to walk across the stage. It was all a bit ridiculous. I couldn't believe how much effort they were putting in to make sure the hood was worn correctly.
But then again, they were correcting alot of people, so maybe we are smart enough to get a masters degree but not enough to read directions.
13 years ago
2 comments:
OHHHH...the zipper goes in FRONT of the gown. Dang, I wish the U had provided me with such helpful instructions when I graduated last week. Too funny.
I loved the wearing the hood, too. I wish they let us keep them. I think Karla has a picture of me wearing the hood like a Jedi. And you went through way may training /scrutiny than me.
Post a Comment